Congratulations! The Faculty and Staff of the César E. Chávez Department of Chicana/o Studies are looking forward to sharing this wonderful occasion with you.
The Department Ceremony will be held in the Grand Horizon Ballroom in Covel Commons on Saturday, June 17, 2018 from 10:00 am -12:00 pm. Doors will open at 9:30 am. This is the only graduation ceremony at which you’ll be individually recognized.
To Prepare for Graduation:
- Declare your Degree Expected Term via MyUCLA (http://my.ucla.edu).
- Set up an appointment with Ellie Hernandez to make sure you’ve completed all your requirements.
Prior to Graduation Day:
- Refer to the College Commencement Website for general information, timeline and key dates.
- Check announcements posted to MyUCLA.
- Attend one of the graduation workshops offered through the College. To view the workshop schedule, visit MyUCLA and click on the “services” button at the top of the page.
- Complete the “College Senior Survey” available on your MyUCLA.*
- Order your cap, gown, and tassel from Graduation Etc.
Each student is given four complimentary tickets for the César E. Chávez Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies Ceremony. An additional four tickets per student are available at $12.00/each. You will also have the option to be wait-listed for two additional tickets. The actual number of additional tickets beyond these 10, if any, will not be known until after the initial requests have been processed. Tickets are ordered through MyUCLA for college and departmental graduation ceremonies. For additional information on how to order tickets visit the commencement website.
Order tickets for your guests ONLY – you do not need a ticket for yourself. It is mandatory that each of your guests have a ticket in hand for our ceremony.
Depending on how many tickets are ordered by all students, there may be extras available. If you would like additional tickets to the ceremony, e-mail Ellie with your name, I.D.# and the number of EXTRA tickets you need (outside of what is ordered online).
*IMPORTANT: You will not be able to submit ticket requests for Commencement Weekend 2018 until you complete the “College Senior Survey.”
- Parking passes are available for purchase from the Parking Office prior to or on the day of the event
- Students or guests with disabilities should contact the Office of Students with Disabilities; (310) 825-1501 voice; (310) 206-6083 TDD, after May 3rd to receive information about parking and other assistance.
On Graduation Day:
- You need to arrive by 9:00 a.m. The ceremony will start promptly at 10:00 a.m.
- Graduates will be asked to sit together in a special separate section.
- For Chicana/o Studies graduates, you will be able to park on Sunset Village for $12 on the day of this department’s graduation ceremony.
During the Graduation Ceremony:
- After your name is announced, you will walk across the stage toward the Department Chair, shake the faculty’s hand, then walk to the microphone and say a few words (no longer than 30 seconds) and return to your seat.
After the Graduation Ceremony:
- Students will take a group picture with their fellow graduates.
E-mail Ellie Hernandez if you have any questions.