The American Association of Geographers (AAG) has awarded a lifetime honors award to Professor Emeritus William A. V. Clark.
Professor Judy Carney and Professor Helga Leitner were elected to the inaugural class of AAG Fellows.AAG Announces the 2018 AAG Honors, AAG Announces Inaugural Class of AAG Fellows
Congratulations to Distinguished Professor John Agnew, who has been elected as a Fellow of the British Academy.British Academy
Distinguished Professor John Agnew has been awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Oulu in Finland.
The University of Oulu is ranked as one of the top universities in Finland, with approximately 16,000 students. Professor Agnew is an active collaborator with University of Oulu through joint publications.UCLA Newsroom, University of Oulu
Graduate students Karen An and Matthew Cooper have each been awarded a NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF).
These fellowships will cover their Ph.D. tuition and stipend up to $45,000/year for three years. They are highly competitive, with just 69 selected out of 385 applications in Earth Science Research this year.NASA - Opportunities for Researchers, NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) Program – 2017 (PDF)
Faculty and grad student awards from this year's American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting:
- Professor Eric Sheppard: Meridian Book Award for:
Limits to Globalization: The Disruptive Geographies of Capitalist Development, Oxford University Press, 2016
- Professor, John Muir Chair, and AAG President Glen MacDonald interviewed by Accuweather at March for Science.
- Professor and Vice Provost of International Studies and Global Engagement Cindy Fan who on Sunday received the Distinguished Scholar Award from the Asian Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers.
- Graduate student Mia Bennett, Mia, awarded an AAG disseration research grant.
- Graduate student Tyler Harlan, awarded:
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Earl Cook Best Paper Award
- China Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Travel Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group East Asia Travel Award
- UCLA Geography PhD Luis Alvarez, Luis, AAG Economic Geography Specialty Group best dissertation award for 2016-2017.
Professor Judy Carney has been elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Associate Professor Lieba Faier has been awarded a highly competitive 2017 Fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS). Out of nearly 1200 applicants, only 71 fellows were selected.American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), ACLS Fellows Profile - Lieba Faier
Professor John Agnew delivers the 122nd UCLA Faculty Research Lecture, Is There a Post-Place Politics?, originally on March 9, 2017.UCLA Faculty Research Lecture Archives