Distinguished Professor John Agnew has been awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Oulu in Finland.
The University of Oulu is ranked as one of the top universities in Finland, with approximately 16,000 students. Professor Agnew is an active collaborator with University of Oulu through joint publications.UCLA Newsroom, University of Oulu
Graduate students Karen An and Matthew Cooper have each been awarded a NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF).
These fellowships will cover their Ph.D. tuition and stipend up to $45,000/year for three years. They are highly competitive, with just 69 selected out of 385 applications in Earth Science Research this year.NASA - Opportunities for Researchers, NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) Program – 2017 (PDF)
Faculty and grad student awards from this year's American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting:
- Professor Eric Sheppard: Meridian Book Award for:
Limits to Globalization: The Disruptive Geographies of Capitalist Development, Oxford University Press, 2016
- Professor, John Muir Chair, and AAG President Glen MacDonald interviewed by Accuweather at March for Science.
- Professor and Vice Provost of International Studies and Global Engagement Cindy Fan who on Sunday received the Distinguished Scholar Award from the Asian Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers.
- Graduate student Mia Bennett, Mia, awarded an AAG disseration research grant.
- Graduate student Tyler Harlan, awarded:
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Earl Cook Best Paper Award
- China Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Travel Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group East Asia Travel Award
- UCLA Geography PhD Luis Alvarez, Luis, AAG Economic Geography Specialty Group best dissertation award for 2016-2017.
Professor Judy Carney has been elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Associate Professor Lieba Faier has been awarded a highly competitive 2017 Fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS). Out of nearly 1200 applicants, only 71 fellows were selected.American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), ACLS Fellows Profile - Lieba Faier
Professor John Agnew delivers the 122nd UCLA Faculty Research Lecture, Is There a Post-Place Politics?, originally on March 9, 2017.UCLA Faculty Research Lecture Archives
New research, co-authored by UCLA Geography post-doc Simona Avnaim-Katav as well as Professor and John Muir Chair Glen MacDonald, reveals the Newport-Inglewood fault may be more dangerous than previously believed.Los Angeles Times
Department of Geography postdoctoral scholar Dr. Kang Yang is winner of a 2017 UCLA Chancellor's Award for Postdoctoral Research, for his work using satellite remote sensing to study meltwater runoff processes on the Greenland Ice Sheet. UCLA currently has over 1,300 postdoctoral scholars and Dr. Yang is one of just four winners selected this year.
This marks the first time a member of our department has won this highly competitive prize. It was established in 1998 to recognize the important contributions that postdoctoral scholars make to UCLA's research mission. Dr. Yang was honored at an awards ceremony hosted by Dean Garrell, where he received an plaque and $5000 prize.UCLA Graduate Education
Chair and Professor Laurence C. Smith’s team in Greenland covered by The New Yorker.New Yorker
Professor Yongkang Xue elected an American Meterological Society fellow.
This honor is bestowed on no more than 0.2% of the American Meterological Society (AMS) membership in any given year, in recognition of "outstanding contributions to the atmospheric or related oceanic or hydrologic sciences or their applications during a substantial period of years."American Meterological Society
Distinguished Professor Michael Storper at UCLA Luskin School of Urban Planning receives the Royal Geographical Society’s Top Award, the Founders Medal of the RGS/IBG for 2016.UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs