Scheduled for 20 April 2018, the symposium: Landscapes, Memories, Places: Remembering Denis Cosgrove, Cultural Geographer is scheduled at the Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere and Arti, Palazzo Loredan in Venice, Italy.Istituto Veneto at Venice, RHUL Geohumanities
Professor Emeritus William A.V. Clark wins the 2017-2018 Edward A. Dickson Emeritus Professorship Award, which honors outstanding research, scholarly work, teaching, and service performed by an Emeritus or Emerita Professor since retirement.UCLA Newsroom, UCLA Emeriti Association
The Tod Spieker Colloquium
Geographies of Food: Research Advances in Contemporary Foodways
The American Association of Geographers (AAG) has awarded a lifetime honors award to Professor Emeritus William A. V. Clark.
Professor Judy Carney and Professor Helga Leitner were elected to the inaugural class of AAG Fellows.AAG Announces the 2018 AAG Honors, AAG Announces Inaugural Class of AAG Fellows
Congratulations to Distinguished Professor John Agnew, who has been elected as a Fellow of the British Academy.British Academy
Distinguished Professor John Agnew has been awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Oulu in Finland.
The University of Oulu is ranked as one of the top universities in Finland, with approximately 16,000 students. Professor Agnew is an active collaborator with University of Oulu through joint publications.UCLA Newsroom, University of Oulu
Graduate students Karen An and Matthew Cooper have each been awarded a NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF).
These fellowships will cover their Ph.D. tuition and stipend up to $45,000/year for three years. They are highly competitive, with just 69 selected out of 385 applications in Earth Science Research this year.NASA - Opportunities for Researchers, NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) Program – 2017 (PDF)
Faculty and grad student awards from this year's American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting:
- Professor Eric Sheppard: Meridian Book Award for:
Limits to Globalization: The Disruptive Geographies of Capitalist Development, Oxford University Press, 2016
- Professor, John Muir Chair, and AAG President Glen MacDonald interviewed by Accuweather at March for Science.
- Professor and Vice Provost of International Studies and Global Engagement Cindy Fan who on Sunday received the Distinguished Scholar Award from the Asian Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers.
- Graduate student Mia Bennett, Mia, awarded an AAG disseration research grant.
- Graduate student Tyler Harlan, awarded:
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Earl Cook Best Paper Award
- China Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group Student Paper Award
- Energy and Environment Specialty Group Travel Award
- Asian Geography Specialty Group East Asia Travel Award
- UCLA Geography PhD Luis Alvarez, Luis, AAG Economic Geography Specialty Group best dissertation award for 2016-2017.