(Emeritus) (Ph.D., Birmingham, UK, 1961) is a Professor with research and teaching interests in geomorphology, coastal sciences, paleoclimatology, Quaternary studies, coastal and watershed management, and the physical basis of geography.
B.A., First Class Honours, University of Birmingham, England, 1957
Ph.D., University of Birmingham, England, 1961
(1) Coastal Geomorphology (river-mouth morphodynamics, beach erosion, dunes)
(2) Watershed Geomorphology (mass movement, slope processes, sediment yields)
(3) Quaternary Environments (sea-level change, pluvial lakes)
(4) Geomorphology and Isostasy (relations to denudation and drainage systems)
(5) Tectonism and Environmental Change (impacts on climate, geomorphology, biogeography)
(6) Timescales of Environmental Change
(7) Histories and Theories of Earth and Environmental Sciences
(8) Coastal and Watershed Management
- Orme, A.R., 2008. Pleistocene pluvial lakes of the American West: A short history of research. In: R.H. Grapes, D. Oldroyd, and A. Grigelis (editors), History of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 301, 51-78.
- Orme, A.R., 2008. Lake Thompson, Mojave Desert, California: The late Pleistocene lake system and its Holocene desiccation. In: M.C. Reheis, R. Hershler, and D.M. Miller (editors), Late Cenozoic Drainage History of the Southwestern Great Basin and Lower Colorado River Region: Geologic and Biotic Perspectives. Geological Society of America, Special Paper 439, 261-278.
- Orme, A.R., and Orme, A.J., 2008. Late Pleistocene shorelines of Owens Lake, California, and their hydroclimatic and tectonic implications. In: M.C. Reheis, R. Hershler, and D.M. Miller (editors), Late Cenozoic Drainage History of the Southwestern Great Basin and Lower Colorado River Region: Geologic and Biotic Perspectives. Geological Society of America, Special Paper 439, 207-225.
- Orme, A.R., 2007. The rise and fall of the Davisian Cycle of Erosion: Prelude, fugue, coda and sequel. Physical Geography, 28 (6), 474-506.
- Orme, A.R., 2007. Clarence Edward Dutton (1841-1912): soldier, polymath and aesthete. In: P.N. Wyse Jackson (editor), Four Centuries of Geological Travel, Geological Society of London, Special Publications, 287, 271-286.
- Zoulas, J.G., and Orme, A.R., 2007. Multidecadal-scale beach changes in the Zuma littoral cell, California. Physical Geography, 28 (4), 1-24.
- Orme, A.R., 2007 (co-editor and contributor). The Physical Geography of South America. Oxford University Press, New York and Oxford, 368 pages, 21 chapters including three chapters by Orme: Chapter 1: The Tectonic Framework of South America, pp. 3-22; Chapter 2: Tectonism, Climate, and Landscape Change, pp. 23-44; Chapter 21 (with T.T. Veblen and K.R. Young): Future Environments of South America, pp. 340-352.
- Palacios Fest, M.R., Homburg, J.A., Brevik, J.C., Orme, A.R., Davis, O.K., and Shelley, S.D., 2006. Paleoecologia del Cuaternario Tardio en la Laguna de Ballona en el sur de California. Revista Ciencias Marinas, 32 (3), 485-504.
- Orme, A.R. 2005. The coast from Rincon Point to Santa Monica. Chapter 18 in: G. Griggs, K. Patsch & L. Savoy (editors), Living with the Changing California Coast. University of California Press, Berkeley & London, 394-426.
- Orme, A.R., 2005. The coast from Morro Bay to Point Conception. Chapter 16 in: G. Griggs, K. Patsch & L. Savoy (editors), Living with the Changing California Coast, University of California Press, Berkeley & London, 334-358.
- Schwarz, K.M., and Orme, A.R., 2005. Opening and closure of a seasonal river mouth: The Malibu estuary-barrier-lagoon system, California. Zeitschrift fur Geomorphology, Supplementband 141, 91-109
- Orme, A.R., 2004. American geomorphology at the dawn of the 20th century. Physical Geography, 25 (5), 361-381
- Orme, A.R., 2003. Lake Thompson, Mojave Desert, California: A Desiccating Late Quaternary Lake System. Monograph TR-03, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Engineering Research and Development Center and Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, 53 p.
- Orme, A.R., 2002. Shifting paradigms in geomorphology: The fate of research ideas in an educational context. Geomorphology, 47, 325-342.
- Orme, A.R., 2002 (editor and contributor). The Physical Geography of North America. Oxford University Press, New York and Oxford, 551 pages, 25 chapters including four chapters by Orme: Chapter 1: Tectonism, Climate, and Landscape, pp. 3-35; Chapter 3: The Pleistocene Legacy – Beyond the Ice front, pp. 55-85; Chapter 21: Ocean Coasts and Continental Margins, pp. 425-455; and Chapter 22: Human Imprints on the Primeval Landscape, pp. 459-481.
American Institute of Planners Award, 1975 (in recognition of The Shorezone Plan for Lake Tahoe, California and Nevada).
United States Air Force, Outstanding Service Award, 1980.
Founders’ Medal, 2000, British Society for Geomorphology (affiliated with Royal Geographical Society and The Geological Society, London)
Mel Marcus Distinguished Career Award, 2002, Geomorphology Specialty Group, Association of American Geographers
International Commission on the History of Geological Sciences, elected 2008.