Cindy Fan (Ph.D., Ohio State University, 1989) is a Professor in the Department of Geography with research interests in population, migration, regional development, gender, ethnicity, and China. She is also Vice Provost for International Studies and Global Engagement, past Chair of the Department of Asian American Studies and former Associate Dean of Social Sciences.
Ph.D. Geography, Ohio State University, 1985-1989M.Phil. Geography, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1982-1984B.A. Geography, University of Hong Kong, 1978-1981
Population, migration, regional development and policy, inequality, gender, ethnicity in North America, post-Mao China.
- Fan, C. Cindy and Tianjiao Li (2018) “Familization of Migration in China: Evidence from the 2011 and 2015 National Floating Population Surveys,” Area Development and Policy, DOI: 10.1080/23792949.2018.1514981
- Fan, C. Cindy (2018) “Population Mobility and Migration,” in The SAGE Handbook of Contemporary China, ed. Weiping Wu and Mark Frazier, pp. 848-877 (Chapter 40), Los Angeles, CA: SAGE.
- Chen, Chen and C. Cindy Fan (2018) “Gender and Generational Differences in First Outward and First Inward-Moves: An Event-History Analysis of Rural Migrants in China,” EPA: Economy and Space. http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/jiJwFbtXCyvJc5WFwXyI/full
- Chen, Chen and C. Cindy Fan (2018) “Rural-Urban Migration and Circularity in China: Analysis of Longitudinal Surveys in Anhui, 1980-2009,” Geoforum 93: 97-104.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2018) “Migration, Gender, and Space in China,” in Modernity, Space and Gender, ed. Alexandra Staub, pp. 305-319 (Chapter 17). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Howell, Anthony, Canfei He, Rudai Yang, and C. Cindy Fan (2018), “Agglomeration, (Un)-Related Variety and New Firm Survival in China: Do Local Subsidies Matter?” Papers in Regional Science 97(3): 485-501, doi:10.1111/pirs.12269
- Chen, Chuanbo and C. Cindy Fan (2016), “China’s Hukou Puzzle: Why Don’t Rural Migrants Want Urban Hukou?” The China Review 16(3): 9-39.
- Howell, Anthony, Canfei He, Rudai Yang, and Cindy Fan (2016), “Technological Relatedness and Asymmetrical Firm Productivity Gains Under Market Reforms in China?”Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 9: 499-515.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2016) “Household-Splitting of Rural Migrants in Beijing, China,” Trialog: A Journal for Planning and Building in a Global Context 116/117, 19-24.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2015) “Migration, Remittances, and Social and Spatial Organization of Rural Households in China,” in Transnational Labour Migration, Remittances and the Changing Family in Asia, edited by Lan Anh Hoang and Brenda Yeoh, pp. 194-226 (Chapter 8). Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Fan, C. Cindy and Chen Chen (2013) “New-generation Migrant Workers in China,” in Transient Urbanism: Migrants and Urbanized Villages in Chinese Cities, edited by Fulong Wu, Fangzhu Zhang and Chris Webster, pp. 17-35 (Chapter 2). London and New York: Routledge.
- Wang, Wenfei Winnie and C. Cindy Fan (2012) “Migrant Workers’ Integration in Urban China: Experiences in Employment, Social Adaptation, and Self-Identity,” Eurasian Geography and Economics 53(6): 731-749.
- Wang, Wenfei Winnie and C. Cindy Fan (2012) “Xifang guonei renkou qianyi yanjiu jinzhan ji qushi (Progress in Internal Migration Studies in Western Literature),” in Renkou Xue (Demography), edited by Zai Liang, pp. 174-208 (Chapter 6). Beijing: Renmin University Press (in Chinese).
- Fan, C. Cindy (2011) “Settlement Intention and Split Households: Findings from a Migrant Survey in Beijing, China,” The China Review, 11(2), 11-42. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy, Mingjie Sun, and Siqi Zheng (2011) “Migration and Split Households: A Comparison of Sole, Couple, and Family Migrants in Beijing, China,” Environment and Planning A, 43(9), 2164-2185. (PDF)
- Sun, Mingjie and C. Cindy Fan (2011) “China’s Permanent and Temporary Migrants: Differentials and Changes, 1990-2000,” The Professional Geographer, 63(1), 92-112. (PDF)
- Howell, Anthony and C. Cindy Fan (2011) “Migration and Inequality in Xinjiang: A Survey of Han and Uyghur Migrants in Urumqi,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 52(1), 119-139. (PDF)
- Zheng, Siqi, Fenjie Long, C. Cindy Fan and Yizhen Gu (2009) “Urban Villages in China: A 2008 Survey of Migrant Settlements in Beijing,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 50(4), 425-446. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2009) “Flexible Work, Flexible Household: Labor Migration and Rural Families in China,” Work and Organizations in China after Thirty Years of Transition, edited by Lisa A. Keister, pp. 381-412 (Chapter 13). Emerald Press. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2008) China on the Move: Migration, the State, and the Household, London and New York, NY: Routledge. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Wenfei Winnie Wang (2008) “The Household as Security: Strategies of Rural-Urban Migrants in China,” in Migration and Social Protection in China, edited by Russell Smyth and Ingrid Nielsen, pp. 205-243 (Chapter 11). New Jersey, NY: World Scientific.(PDF)
- Sun, Mingjie and C. Cindy Fan (2008) “Regional Inequality in the Pan-Pearl River Delta Region,” in The Pan-Pearl River Delta: An Emerging Regional Economy in Globalizing China, edited by Y.M. Yeung and Jianfa Shen, pp. 241-269 (Chapter 9), Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- Fan, C. Cindy and Mingjie Sun (2008) “Regional Inequality in China, 1978-2006,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 48(1), 1-20. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2008) “Migration, Hukou, and the Chinese City,” in China Urbanizes: Consequences, Strategies, and Policies, edited by Shahid Yusuf and Anthony Saich, pp. 65-90. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Joanna Regulska (2008) “Gender and the Labor Market in China and Poland,” in Urban China in Transition, edited by John Logan, pp. 89-111 (Chapter 4), Malden, MA: Blackwell. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2006) “China’s Eleventh Five-Year Plan (2006-2010): From ‘Getting Rich First’ to ‘Common Prosperity’,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 47(6), 708-723. (PDF)
- Wang, Wenfei Winnie and C. Cindy Fan (2006) “Success or Failure: Selectivity and Reasons of Return Migration in Sichuan and Anhui, China,” Environment and Planning A, 38(5), 939-958. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2005) “Modeling Interprovincial Migration in China, 1985-2000,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 46(3), 165-184. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2005) “Interprovincial Migration, Population Redistribution, and Regional Development in China: 1990 and 2000 Census Comparisons,” The Professional Geographer, 57, 2, 295-311. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2004) “Gender Differences in Chinese Migration,” in Changing China: A Geographic Appraisal, eds. Chiao-min Hsieh and Max Lu, pp. 243-268 (Chapter 15). Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2004) “Out to the City and Back to the Village: The Experiences and Contributions of Rural Women Migrating from Sichuan and Anhui,” in On the Move: Women in Rural-Urban Migration in Contemporary China, eds. Arianne M. Gaetano and Tamara Jacka, pp. 177-206 (Chapter 6). New York: Columbia University Press. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2004) “The State, Migration, and Maiden Workers in China,” Political Geography, 23, 3, 283-305. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy, Laurence J.C. Ma, Clifton W. Pannell and K.C. Tan (2003) “Geography of China,” in Geography in America at the Dawn of the 21st Century, eds. Gary L. Gaile and Cort J. Willmott, pp. 668-678 (Chapter 41). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2003), “Rural-Urban Migration and Gender Division of Labor in China,” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 27, 1, 24-47. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Allen J. Scott (2003), “Industrial Agglomeration and Development: A Survey of Spatial Economic Issues in East Asia and a Statistical Analysis of Chinese Regions,” Economic Geography, 79, 3, 295-319. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2002) “Population Change and Regional Development in China: Insights based on the 2000 Census,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 43, 6, 425-442.
- Fan, C. Cindy and Ling Li (2002) “Marriage and Migration in Transitional China: A Field Study of Gaozhou, Western Guangdong,” Environment and Planning A, 34, 4, 619-638. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2002) “Chinese Americans: Immigration, Settlement and Social Geography,” in The Chinese Diaspora: Space, Place, Mobility, and Identity, eds. Laurence J.C. Ma and Carolyn Cartier, pp. 261-291 (Chapter 11). Lanham, ML: Rowman and Littlefield. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2002) “The Elite, the Natives, and the Outsiders: Migration and Labor Market Segmentation in Urban China,” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 92(1), 103-124. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2002) “Permanent migrants, temporary migrants, and the labour market in Chinese cities,” in Resource Management, Urbanization and Governance in Hong Kong and the Zhujiang Delta, eds. K.Y. Wong and J. Shen, pp. 55-78 (Chapter 4). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press. (PDF)
- Wang, Wenfei, Shangyi Zhou, and C. Cindy Fan. (2002) “Growth and Decline of Muslim Hui Enclaves in Beijing,” Eurasian Geography and Economics, 43, 2, 104-122. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (2001) “Migration and Labor Market Returns in Urban China: Results from a Recent Survey in Guangzhou,” Environment and Planning A, 33(3), 479-508. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Jiantao Lu (2001) “Foreign Direct Investment, Locational Factors and Labor Mobility in China, 1985-1997,” Asian Geographer, 20(1 & 2), 79-99.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2001) ”Guest Editor’s Introduction: New Themes and Forces of Regional Development in China,” Asian Geographer, 20(1 & 2), 1-5.
- Fan, C. Cindy (2000) “Migration and Gender in China,” in China Review 2000, eds. C.M. Lau and J. Shen, pp. 423-454 (Chapter 19). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press.
- Wei, Yehua and C. Cindy Fan (2000) “Regional Inequality in China: A Case Study of Jiangsu Province,” Professional Geographer, 52(3), 455-469. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (1999) “The Vertical and Horizontal Expansions of China’s City System,” Urban Geography, 20(6), 493-515. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (1999) “Migration in a Socialist Transitional Economy: Heterogeneity, Socioeconomic and Spatial Characteristics of Migrants in China and Guangdong Province,” International Migration Review, 33(4), 950-983. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Youqin Huang (1998) “Waves of Rural Brides: Female Marriage Migration in China,” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 88(2), 227-251. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (1997) “Uneven Development and Beyond: Regional Development Theory in Post-Mao China,” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 21(4), 620-639. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (1996) “Economic Opportunities and Internal Migration: A Case Study of Guangdong Province, China,” The Professional Geographer, 48(1), 28-45. (PDF)
- Fan, C.C. (1995) “Developments from Above, Below and Outside: Spatial Impacts of China’s Economic Reforms in Jiangsu and Guangdong Provinces,” Chinese Environment and Development, 6(1 & 2), 85-116.
- Fan, C. Cindy (1995) “Of Belts and Ladders: State Policy and Uneven Regional Development in Post-Mao China,” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 85(3), 421-449. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy and Emilio Casetti (1994) “The Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of U.S. Regional Income Inequality,” The Annals of Regional Science, 28(2), 177-196. (PDF)
- Fan, C. Cindy (1992) “Regional Impacts of Foreign Trade in China, 1984-1989,” Growth and Change, 23(2), 129-159.
- Fan, C. Cindy (1992) “Foreign Trade and Regional Development in China,” Geographical Analysis, 24(3), 240-256.
- Fan, C. Cindy (1992) “An Investigation into the Dynamics of Development Inequalities via Expanded Rank-Size Functions,” in Applications of the Expansion Method, eds. J.P. Jones III and E. Casetti, pp. 185-212 (Chapter 9). London: Routledge.
- Casetti, Emilio and C. Cindy Fan (1991) “The Spatial Spread of the AIDS Epidemic in Ohio: Empirical Analysis Using the Expansion Method,” Environment and Planning A, 23(11), 1589-1608.
- Fan, C. Cindy (1988) “The Temporal and Spatial Dynamics of City-Size Distributions in China,” Population Research and Policy Review, 7, 123-157. (PDF)
Distinguished Scholar Award, Asian Geography Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers, 2017.
American Council on Education Fellowship, 2013-2014.
Distinguished Teaching Award, UCLA, 2011-2012.
C. Doris and Toshio Hoshide Distinguished Teaching Prize in Asian American Studies, 2010-2011.
Outstanding Service Award, China Specialty Group, Association of American Geographers, 2008.