(Emeritus) (Ph.D., Georgia, 1973) is a Professor with research interests conservation, hydrology, fluvial geomorphology, research techniques, and environmental history. He teaches classes in hydrology and the environment.
BS, Chemistry, 1963, U. of N. Alabama
MA (1970), PhD (1973), Population and Settlement Geography, U. of Georgia
Fluvial Geomorphology, Biogeomorphology, Hydrology, Soil and Water Conservation, Historical Geography.
- S.W. Trimble, HISTORICAL AGRICULTURE AND SOIL EROSION IN THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY HILL COUNTRY. Boca Raton: CRC, Francis-Taylor, xlvii+ 242 pages (2013).
- S.W. Trimble, “Streams, Valleys, and Floodplains in the Sediment Cascade,”in T. Burt and R.Allison (eds), SEDIMENT CASCADES: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH. Chichester: Wiley, pp.307-343.(2010)
- S. W. Trimble, “ Fluvial Processes, Morphology, and Sediment Budgets in the Coon Creek Basin, WI, USA, 1975-1993”. GEOMORPHOLOGY 108: 8-23 (2009).
- S. W. Trimble, MAN-INDUCED SOIL EROSION ON THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT. Ankeny, Iowa: Soil and Water Conservation Society. New, Enhanced Edition of the 1974 edition with a Forward by Andrew Goudie (Oxford) and an introductory essay by S. W. Trimble. (x + 70pages (2008)
- )S. W. Trimble (ed), ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WATER SCIENCE, 2nd Ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press. (xlvi+1429 pages, 2 volumes) (2008).
- A.Ward and S.W.Trimble,ENVIRONMENTAL HYDROLOGY,CRC-Lewis Press Boca Raton,Fl,( 475pp+c.25p) Jan.2004 (Winner of American Society of Agricultural Engineers Blue Ribbon Award, 2004
- S.W.Trimble,”Historical Hydrographic and Hydrologic Changes in the San Diego Creek Watershed,Newport Bay,California”,JOURNAL of HISTORICAL GEOGRAPHY 29:422-444 (2003).
- S.W. Trimble and P.Crosson, U.S. Soil Erosion Rates-Myth or Reality”, SCIENCE 289:248-250. (2000)
- S. W. Trimble and P. Crosson. ‘Measurements and Models of Soil Loss Rates”, SCIENCE 290:1301 (2000).
- S.W. Trimble,”Decreased Rates of Alluvial Storage in the Coon Creek Basin, Wisconsin, 1975-1993″, SCIENCE 285:1244-1246.(1999).
- S.W. Trimble, “Rates of Soil Erosion”, SCIENCE 286:1477-78. (1999).
2006. Mel Marcus Distinguished Career Award,Geomorphology Specialty Group, Assoc. Am. Geographers.
2005.Appointed to National Research Council-National Academy of Sciences, Committee on the Mississippi River and the Clean Water Act
2005.(With A. Ward), Soil&Water Cons. Soc. Excellence Award for ENVIRONMENTAL HYDROLOGY
2004 Am. Society of Agricultural Engineers, Blue Ribbon Award for ENVIRONMENTAL HYDROLOGY(CRC Press, 2004) (with Andrew Ward)
2004 Geographers on Film; interview for Assoc. of Am. Geographers archives,72min 2002-present, Listed in DIRECTORY OF AMERICAN SCHOLARS
2001 “A sediment budget for Coon Creek Wisconsin, 1853-1975” by S.W. Trimble (in AM. JOUR.SCI. 283, 454-474, 1983) was selected by PROGRESS IN PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY as a “Classic in Physical Geography”
1999 Fluvial research in Driftless Area featured in SCIENCE, SCIENCE NEWS, ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW and covered by all 3 news services, thus appearing in media world over including THE (LONDON) TIMES.
1998 Visiting Fellow, Hatfield College, University of Durham, UK
1996 Appointed to National Research Council-National Academy of Sciences Committee on Watershed Management
1995 Fulbright Senior Fellowship, UK
1995 Visiting Fellow, Keble College, University of Oxford, UK
1995-present. Listed in Marquis’ WHO’S WHO IN AMERICA
1994 Frost Lectureship, British Geomorphological Research Group
1994 and 1999: Visiting Professor, University of Vienna
1978, 1981, 1990: Visiting Professor, University of Chicago
1985: Visiting Professor, University College London